This morning, the Office for Budget Responsibility published its Fiscal Risks Report, revealing that the UK will enter a recession if it leaves the EU without a deal.
Britain has a dysfunctional economy that stops people getting on and living a happy, secure life. It would be unforgivable to heap further stress and anxiety on families who are already struggling by deliberately pursuing a policy that the Government’s own independent economic watchdog now says will result in a recession.
But that is precisely what the next Prime Minister has said he will do. It might please his party which makes up less than 1% of the electorate, but this report confirms that it will bring misery to the other 99%.
Brexit has resulted in a weak pound, higher inflation, big falls in manufacturing output, construction, and business investment – and we have not even left the EU yet.
The Liberal Democrats are the only party that can get into Government who are committed to stopping Brexit and have a plan to tackle the economic problems which led people to vote for it in the first place.